->

This Teenager Is Dead Because Of Her Tampon

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but potentially fatal bacterial infection that invades the bloodstream and releases toxins that can damage the skin and organs, and disrupt many vital functions. It has been discovered that this syndrome is related to the use of tampons.

This Teenager Is Dead Because Of Her Tampon

Link between SCT syndrome and the use of tampons
Buffers left longer than recommended, especially those that are very absorbent, can unfortunately allow the growth and proliferation of bacteria.

"When manufacturers stopped marketing some super-absorbent tampons, the rate of toxic shock syndrome in women during menstruation fell significantly. Today, the rate of SCT among women in menstruation is about 1 in 100,000, "says Dr. Michael Cackovic at Live Science.

"The condition most often occurs in women aged 15 to 25 who use tampons. This is because younger women are less likely to have antibodies against Staphylococcus. Aureus, compared to older women. Adds Dr. Cackovic.

In addition, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) encourages manufacturers to recommend buffer time limits. For example, most health professionals advise a buffer change every three to four hours depending on the abundance of the rules.

However, it is important to note that tampons are not the only cause of the onset of this syndrome and that the condition does not only affect women who use tampons. Men, children and menopausal women can also develop the syndrome. Other risk factors for TSS also include skin infections, surgical wounds, burns, childbirth and the use of packaging to stop nosebleeds, according to the National Institutes of Health.

16-year-old girl dies of toxic shock syndrome

A 16-year-old girl died of toxic shock syndrome related to the use of a tampon.

A 16-year-old girl from British Columbia was found dead on a school trip near Vancouver Island. That morning, her friends left their cabin to have breakfast, thinking that she was still sleeping. But when they returned, they found him still in bed, inanimate. His death was attributed to the toxic shock syndrome (SCT) associated with the use of a tampon. A bacterium known as Staphylococcus aureus was found on the tampon that the teenager was using.


According to her sister, Carli Manitoski, Sara did not feel well and had stomach cramps before bedtime.

Symptoms of Toxic Shock Syndrome include:
  • Fever
  • Vomitings
  • Diarrhea
  • A rash that looks like a sunburn
  • Muscle pain
  • Sore throat
  • A drop in blood pressure
  • Joint pain
  • A sensitivity to light
  • Kidney failure

Tips on using tampons
  • Start by reading the information booklet that accompanies the pads and follow all directions.
  • Do not unpack the stamp before using it
  • Always wash your hands before inserting and use tampons with low absorbency.
  • Do not use tampons before the start of your period.
  • Change the buffer every three hours or so.
Scroll to top
->