This Popular Plant Has Poisoned A Child Of 5 Years

Thanks to their beautiful colors, and their natural scents, plants beautify our gardens and perfume them. Some even have innumerable health benefits. But do you know that there are dangerous plants that can cause very severe intoxication? Read this.

What would our lives be without these plants so beautiful and so beneficial to our health? Plants have been used since the dawn of time, both culinary, aesthetic and medical. But alas, all that is natural is not necessarily harmless. The intoxication experienced by this child of 5 years will encourage you to think a thousand times and especially to educate you before cultivating a plant in your garden.

Dieffenbachia is a plant belonging to the family Araceae. Its good resistance, and its white and green foliage make it one of the preferred plants in the gardens and apartments of a large number of people. When chewed accidentally, it causes swelling of the mouth hence its name "dumb cane".

 For this purpose, it is essential to know the danger of this plant, the substances it contains can cause serious dysfunction of the body, even severe intoxication! Read this shocking story told by the mother of Esteban, this 5 year old child, seriously intoxicated by the Dieffenbachia.

This Popular Plant Has Poisoned A Small Child Of 5 Years

How was Dieffenbachia able to poison Esteban?

Esteban was playing quietly in his parents' house. When suddenly he decided to swallow a sheet of Dieffenbachia, and that's where the ordeal began: A few minutes after swallowing this plant, Esteban's mother found him lying down, his complexion had changed, and he had a lot of trouble breathing.

Immediately afterwards he was transported to the hospital, and it was there that the doctors discovered that Esteban was suffering from serious intoxication. Later, the blood test, showed that Esteban's blood contained a high amount of calcium oxalate, a very dangerous chemical substance.

What are the harmful effects of Dieffenbachia?

Dieffenbachia can be very dangerous for the body because it contains a significant amount of calcium oxalate.

It is a substance found in many foods we consume regularly, such as chocolate, strawberries, hazelnuts, plums, raspberries, or beans.

However, these foods do not cause us intoxication because the doses of calcium oxalate they contain are very low.

However, if it is consumed in high doses, this substance becomes toxic and can even cause serious complications. In humans, the minimum toxic dose of this substance is 600mg / kg.

Effects that may result from calcium oxalate poisoning include:

- Skin disorders: Redness, swelling, and itching.

- Serious eye damage if brought into contact with the eyes.

- Irritation of the tongue, lips and throat.

-Nausea, vomiting, stomach ache and diarrhea.

-Serious kidney dysfunction.

-Problems of the blood circulation.

- Breathlessness and choking.
-Loss of consciousness.

What to do in case of ingestion or poisoning with calcium oxalate?

If someone around you is a victim of intoxication, the first thing to do is call for help, and / or the poison control center.

Then rinse that person's mouth, and clean it gently.

Do not try to make someone drink anything, and do not make them vomit.

Finally, know that there are other plants as dangerous as Dieffenbachia. We advise you to follow certain tips to prevent one of your children from being intoxicated:

- If you do not want to get rid of your plants, put them away in a place that your children can not reach.

-Always remember to educate your children.

-Never leave children alone unattended.

-Before taking a plant home, do some research, and make sure it is safe for your health.

Feel free to share this story with your loved ones, you could save lives!
Scroll to top ->