This Intoxication Kills More And More Dogs During The Summer


This Intoxication Kills More And More Dogs During The Summer

The story that follows has been shared over 88,000 times on Facebook. This is a terrible incident during a family vacation on a lake in the United States. Discover the story Schnauzer, a 2-year-old dog, died as a result of water intoxication.

A few weeks ago, Jen Walsh spent a day at the lake with her 2-year-old dog Hanz. Faithful to her habits, Jen plays a stick or a ball in the water that Hanz is pressing to recover. After spending nearly two hours playing near the lake, Hanz seems to be in heaven and no one could suspect the danger he was in.

This Intoxication Kills More And More Dogs During The Summer

After a while, Jen began to realize that something was wrong. The last time he returned from the lake, Hanz had not shriveled as usual. After a few minutes, the dog came out of the water, completely lethargic.

The family then decides to take it urgently to the vet where the dog was taken care of immediately. Soon, the news falls. Hanz is dead. Some time after the death of her dog, Jen was informed of what had happened to her. He had suffered from water poisoning.



Also known as hyponatremia, water intoxication kills thousands of dogs each year. This is due to an excessive accumulation of water in the body compared to that of sodium. It can occur in the event of loss of salt greater than the water losses, during vomiting, diarrhea, but also in case of ingestion of water superior to its renal elimination.


This Intoxication Kills More And More Dogs During The Summer

How do you recognize water intoxication?

The manifestations of the syndrome of water intoxication are multiple:
  • Tired
  • Headache
  • Muscle cramps
  • Loss of appetite
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Convulsions
Sometimes, water intoxication can cause the loss of consciousness that is called "hydraulic coma". Small dogs that are overflowing with energy are at high risk of being intoxicated because they like to play in the water and can absorb too much fluid for their small size.


What to do in case of water poisoning?

If your dog has the symptoms described above, take him or her to your veterinarian or veterinary emergency. While waiting for the arrival of the medical profession, you can induce vomiting if it is conscious. Avoid vomiting an unconscious animal, otherwise he runs the risk of swallowing his own vomit and contracting pneumonia. Treatments prescribed by doctors usually include intravenous diuretics, used to increase the elimination of sodium and water by the kidney, and medications to reduce brain swelling.

Ingestion of salt water
Dogs swimming in the ocean run the risk of swallowing too much salt water, especially if there are waves. Symptoms can range from vomiting to neurological manifestations such as loss of coordination, epileptic seizures, progressive depression and swelling of the brain. Saltwater poisoning can be fatal and immediate veterinary care is required.

If you own a dog, pay close attention to his actions while playing in the water. Some dogs like to be in the middle of the waves and submerge themselves with water. Remember to give him drinking water to drink so he is not tempted to drink the seawater.
Scroll to top