->

This Boy Dies 8 Days After His Injury Because Of A Detail That Doctors Have Forgotten.

It happens all the time that children, wanting to play and have fun, take risks and end up hurting themselves. It all comes down to a scratch, a few tears and sometimes a bandage, but nothing serious. But for this mother, a simple fall of her son has turned into something unthinkable.

What lies behind an aggravated infection

Necrotizing fasciitis is an infection that spreads very rapidly, reaching the subcutaneous layers as well as adipose tissue. It is caused by a class of pathogenic bacteria known as group A streptococci, and more specifically to the bacterium "Streptococcus pyogenes, also known as gangrenous cellulitis or flesh-eating disease", it is a type of rare infection.

The bacterium that causes the infection enters the body through the mucous membranes or skin aggression. In many cases, it is manifested by fever, pain, skin discolouration (redness), swelling or even skin lesions. The infection begins with a slight rash, sensitivity to heat and pressure, and mild edema.


What seemed like a simple injury

After an unfortunate bike accident, a young boy from Oregon suffered a deep thigh injury and ended up in the emergency room at the nearest hospital.

The doctors had to cut the boy's pants so that he could sew the wound. Liam was a brave little guy. As soon as Liam was operated, he and his mother, Sara, could now go home.

Liam was an ordinary 8-year-old who loved his family, loved playing on the family farm and was close to animals. Sara never thought the accident would turn into a tragedy. But only a few days after the accident, Liam started complaining of severe pain in his groin.


When Scott, Liam's stepfather, and Sara watched the wound, it was purplish red and looked like gangrene. They then hurriedly put the boy in the car and went back to the emergency room, where the doctors quickly realized that his wound had been infected. The infection was diagnosed as a necrotizing fasciitis, commonly referred to as a flesh-eating disease, which probably entered the wound through the soil.

The surgeons tried to remove the infected parts of Liam's body before he was transported to the Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland. There, the doctors continued to work hard to try to save his life. But the bacteria continued to expand and the doctors continued to amputate the infected parts of the boy's body.


Despite all operations and interventions, gangrene continued to spread. So finally, the sick boy was transferred to Randall Children's Hospital so that another team could take care of him.

But to his family's greatest misfortune, little Liam died that night.

"He was my sunbeam ... He loved everyone and everyone loved him. He was the kind of person to leave no one indifferent. Said Sara.

The boy's family was grieved and confused as to how an injury could result in the death of their little boy. Now Sara hopes her story will be a warning to parents about how fast this type of infection can spread. The local community has also decided to raise funds to help the family cover medical and funeral expenses.

A story probably sad and deeply painful that demonstrates how a harmless injury could lead to the loss of such a loved one for this family now helpless. But little Liam's parents may still have to ask themselves the following question: how could such an infection not be detected and treated in time?
Scroll to top
->